This delicious carrot salad was inspired by the Sri Lankan carrot sambal recipe. It is exotic, nourishing and rather easy to make.
I used freshly shredded flesh of aged coconut, but if you cannot find coconuts in your grocery store, use shredded coconut that has not been sweeten or roasted.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp minced bird pepper chili, seeds removed (you can also use habanero or jalapeno)
- 1 Tbsp minced cilantro
- 1/2 purple onion,diced
- 4 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar (use raw honey if you prefer)
- 1 tsp pink Himalaya salt
- juice of 2 limes
- In a small bowl mix coconut oil with honey and lime juice. Add minced chili pepper and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl combine shredded carrots, coconut, onion and cilantro. Add the dressing and mix well.
- Serve this delicious salad in individual bowls as a side dish or an appetizer. Enjoy it in good company!
By Dominique Allmon