Monday, November 10, 2014

Happy Birthday Devil Dogs!


The official mascot of the United States Marine Corps, 
English bulldog Pfc. Chesty the XIV

Today is the Birthday of our United States Marine Corps.

Many years ago I stood in a pair of yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego, scared and thrilled at the same time for the opportunity to pass into that elite brotherhood.

I did. It wasn't easy. Today I reflect on myself as a shaven headed, goofy looking maggot that was hammered in the forge of the Corps and I feel that tempered spirit even now. Yeah, I'm older, grayer and sometimes wiser, but I am always that young man inside. I owe that to the Corps. That and a hell of a lot more. 

To all you young hard chargers, I wish you a Hearty Happy Birthday and I remain, as only we can say,

Semper Fidelis.

Sgt. James W. Allmon, USMC 

Image source here