Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Books to Read This Summer



I have always imagined that 
Paradise 
will be a kind of library. -  Jorge Luis Borges


Summer is a time of many activities. If you are not an avid book reader, reading may not always be at the top of your to-do list. Book lovers, on the other hand, always find time to read, and most are able to find some balance between physical activities and reading. 

 There are quite a few books that were suggested to me by friends. I usually pick up one or two that really catch my eye. This year it will be The House on Mermaid Point. Was it the cover or was it the story line that intrigued me, you may ask. Well, you will have to get the book to find out for yourself.


I travel a lot and sometimes spent a few hours at the airport waiting for my connecting flight. I use this time to explore bookstores and news stands. Sometimes I even discover the most interesting books and new authors I never heard about. One such discovery was Daniel Silva whose latest book, The Heist, I am currently reading. Next on my shelf is The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street which I discovered at the Detroit Metropolitan Aiport.


If you are adventurous enough you are probably contemplating the joys of reading your favorite book on the beach, with suntan lotion on your fingers, the fresh breeze and all the sand that loves to get everywhere. You might decide against it, out of simple, practical reasons. But nothing should stop you from reading on a long haul flight. Once you immerse yourself in your reading adventure you will not even notice how quickly time flies...

By Dominique Allmon

Books you could be reading this summer