This is a healthier version of a traditional recipe. It takes about ten minutes to prepare and about one hour to bake.
More and more people report gluten sensitivity and type II diabetes is on the rise not only in the older population, but also among the children.
This troubling statistics as well as the growing health consciousness gave birth to an alternative food industry. Gluten and sugar-free baked goods can now be found in every supermarket. For those who love baking there is a wide range of gluten-free flours and baking mixes.
Many traditional recipes can be modified to suit any health concern. The final products differ a bit in taste, but they are not necessarily worse. Most importantly, they are healthier and better for you.
In this recipe I used the incredibly versatile Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix and must admit that it exceeded my expectations.
This product comes with a number of tasty recipes and one of them is a recipe for a zucchini loaf cake. I altered this recipe just a bit to make even more healthy. It is not only gluten-free, but also low on the glycemic index.
- 2 medium large zucchinis
- 2 cups Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
- 1 tsp pink Himalaya salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (provided you are not allergic to nuts)
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grate the zucchinis and remove excess moisture with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a medium large bowl whisk together Pamela's Mix, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs (yolks and whites), honey and melted coconut oil for about 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract, beat again. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in grated zucchini and crushed walnuts. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Spoon out the dough into a greased 8'' x 4'' loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- To make sure that the bread is ready insert a toothpick in several places. It should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool off in a pan for about 5 minutes before removing it from the pan.
- Carefully remove the cake from the baking pan and let it cool for another 10-15 minutes.
- When the cake is cool enough, cut it into thick slices and indulge without guilt in good company!