Pumpkin in season! Time to try something new. A warming soup always seems like a good idea.
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- dash of cinnamon
- 6 cups of chopped pumpkin
- 6 vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- organic sea salt to taste
1. Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
2. Add pumpkin and vegetable broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or a food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
4. With the soup on low heat, slowly add coconut milk while stirring to incorporate. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more coconut milk to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.
Serve in individual bowls. Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds. Enjoy in good company!