Thursday, September 27, 2012

Islam - A Religion of Peace?


Detail of a shamsa from a Safavid Shahnameh - Iran, 16th century
  Detail of a shamsa from a Safavid Shahnameh - Iran, 16th century
"To all the Operators here today I give you this charge: Rid the world of those savages.  I'll say it again, rid the world of those savages!" - Dorothy, a widow a former SEAL Tyrone Woods who was murdered in Benghazi on September 11, 2012, in eulogy at the funeral ceremony for the US Ambassador to Libya, her husband and two other Americans who died at the hands of terrorists on that day.

 Dear Reader,

I will spare you my personal views on this subject. You must know, however, that I am outraged when Buddhist treasures are destroyed. I am outraged when synagogues are bombed. I am outraged when Christian churches are burned. I am outraged when the American flag is being trampled on. I am outraged when innocent people are brutally murdered.

If you have formed your opinion on Islam and have no doubt that Islam is a religion of peace, I cannot help you. But if you are plagued by doubts, I warmly suggest you watch a very interesting and intelligent Oxford-style debate that took place at the Kaufman Center in New York City on October 6, 2010. 

Questions asked: "Is the rise of terrorism and violence justifiably traced to the teachings of Islam, or is this call to war a twisted interpretation of the true Muslim faith? Most of the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims are moderates who see Islamic terrorism as a violation of their sacred texts. Is it wrong to let a radical minority represent authentic Islam? Has fear blinded us to its lessons of tolerance and peace?" 

This intelligent debate is eye opening. You will be surprised.

Dominique Allmon



For more mind stimulating debates please visit the Intelligence Squared website